Monday 1 December 2008

On a Night of Snow

Poetry Monday
On a Night of Snow

Cat, if you go outdoors you must walk in the snow.
You will come back with litle white shoes on your feet,
Little white slippers of snow that have heels of sleet.
Stay by the fire, my Cat. Lie still, do not go.
See how the flames are leaping and hissing low,
I will bring you a saucer of milk like a marguerite,
So white and so smooth, so sperical and so sweet-
Stay with me, Cat. Outdoors the wild winds blow.

Outdoors the wild winds blow, Mistress, and dark is the night.
Strange voices cry in the trees, intoning strange lore;
And more than cats move, lit by our eyes' green light,
On silent feet where the meadow grasses hang hoar-
Mistress, there are portents abroad of magic and might,
And things that are yet to be done. Open the door!

by Elizabeth Coatsworth
(illustration by Nicole Wong)

2 comments:

Sunny said...

'Just passin'
Liesel really enjoyed your pics....
At the moment I don't have my own computer so can't view my other blog due to webwasher.... I do hope it is still up & running....
as there are many more pics there it is:
www.xanga.com/freye
Husband and I were in holland a few yrs ago we stayed at the DE Scotsman camp site not far from Vlissingen...
We also hired one of your long, long tandems lol....
If you wish to comment Would love to say hi but you would have to leave on blogspot blog for me to view
Blessings
Sunny (Freye)

The Muse said...

Here is a lovely Christmas prose...
"The Unexpected Gift"
I hope it helps you treasure your family this season...
(it is my latest work)

http://www.jlomowriter.blogspot.com/

Thank you and many blessings...I really am happy to have found your blog :)!!!!!